By: L. Renee Robb, Author “Turn on the Lights (So You Can See)” and “What You Don’t Know About Your Soul”
With all the talk about government officials in Flint, no one is talking about how to actually help Flint residents get the lead out of their systems.
As a mother, a taxpayer, a business owner and so many other titles, I get a feeling of distress when there is something of this magnitude affecting my community (I just organized a protest in Atlanta over a racist dry cleaning business in a predominantly Black neighborhood called Ben Hill.) There is no way I can sit on the sidelines and do nothing. The same as many of you are feeling. So, with the Might of God behind me, I’ve done what has been asked. I've donated money and water, yet still, it doesn't feel like that’s enough. As a community, we are lacking knowledge. The old adage, “knowledge is power’ is 100 percent true. We are also lacking the reflexreaction of “do something”! We’ve got to stop waiting on the sidelines for others to step up to the plate and start doing for ourselves.
That leads me to this...did you know, you can remove the toxins of lead from your body naturally? I’ve been on a healthconscious kick for over 5 years. Genetically, I have a small frame but I started getting healthy after the birth of my youngest daughter because I would break out in skin rashes while breastfeeding. I started to drink water and noticed a change in my skin after a couple of weeks. I routinely detox with a concoction of water, lemons, cucumbers and onions so it’s right up my alley to share what I know. Also, my good friend, Dr. Joy Edwards RN, NMD, PHD, MPH, practices holistic medicine and I often seek her out as it pertains to natural remedies. As it relates to treating lead poisoning, she shares, "When discussing the potential treatment of lead poisoning one must first know what some of the signs and symptoms of lead poisoning are. One issue with this particular condition is that sometimes the symptoms are hard to identify or may be asymptomatic until the damage is actually done. However, there are things you can do now to start removing lead from your body.
The first course of action, is to get a blood test to measure the amount of lead in your blood. Once you get the results, you can proceed with treatments. “There are different treatments depending on your level of lead toxicity. The treatment also is based on if you are still in the contaminated area consuming the lead or if you are no longer exposed to the lead. Such as in cases of lead dust ,or lead paint consumption, exposure, water contamination etc.”, shares Dr. Edwards. “According to the Normative aging study, it suggests that low intake of Vitamin D and Vitamin C may contribute to higher lead levels in elderly and middle age consumers.” Increasing your intake of Vitamin C rich foods and taking a vitamin D supplement and consuming foods fortified with Vitamin D can assist with the bodies natural ability to remove lead from the body.
You should also increase your calcium and Iron rich food intake, and use supplements that can assist with detoxing. Dr. Edwards explains, “These are things that will assist your body over time to remove lead levels. Any form of oral chelation is not an immediate fix so one must be careful if your child is exhibiting symptoms that are presenting as a sore throat, irritability, stomachache and you are aware that they have been exposed to lead.”
She recommends some easy low cost ways to detox naturally with simple items from the grocery store.
● Cilantro can be put into your bottle water and consumed 34 times daily(take 3 stalks per bottle water).
○ you can also just chew cilantro or make a garnish on your food..
● Kale greens can be cooked or consumed raw and taken daily
● Spinach added to your eggs, spinach salads or spinach cooked with garlic with a little bit of water in a pan daily. (if you are on certain medications you may have a limit to how many servings you can have of green leafy vegetables. Please consult your physician). These greens can reduce buildup of lead in your body along with other heavy metals.
*It is important to note that one should not eat canned vegetables or any canned foods as a substitute as they are filled with unnatural preservatives.
● Cook with garlic and onions daily if possible. (this helps the liver detoxify itself of heavy metals such as lead daily).
● 8 oz vegetable juice is also another healthy option daily(not canned) every two hours or filtered bottled water every two hours to flush out toxins daily. (this is great when you have continued exposure to reduce buildup)
I use the following supplemental routine to detox prescribed by Dr. Joy Edwards. Keep in mind this is not to replace medical care but a preventative and complementary way to assist with the detoxification process.
● Chlorella 48 caps daily
● Vitamin C 3000mg daily.
● Probiotics 50 billion units daily
● Milk Thistle 150 mg 2x daily
● Vitamin D 1000 ius 3 tabs daily
Conveniently, these products can be purchased low cost at your area drugstore.
While sending bottled water is good, I think sponsorships from water filtration companies, health food stores, and wellness centers should consider donations and services to the residents of Flint. The grocery store is a great place to get a lot of the above recommended natural preventative ingredients. Also recognizing key symptoms in children is important and you can find that on my blog at www.latisharobb.com.
I simply want to do my part and share my knowledge. When we know better, we can do better.
Latisha Robb is an Activist, Speaker and Author of “Turn on the Lights (So You Can See)” and “What You Don’t Know About Your Soul” she speaks regularly about success and personal development. A true activist, you can find her in support of initiatives to advance African Americans and the plight of #BlackLivesMatter. www.LatishaRobb.com.
Continuing from my last post, these are signs and symptoms of lead poisoning according to my good friend, Dr. Joy Edwards RN. NMD. PHD. MPH.
She shares, "When discussing the potential treatment of lead poisoning one must first know what some of the signs and symptoms of lead poisoning are. One issue with this particular condition is that sometimes the symptoms are hard to identify or may be asymptomatic until the damage is actually done."
In children some more acute symptoms present as follows:
If you see your child exhibit these or you have any or a number of these symptoms you need to seek medical attention to prevent further neurological damage.
First and foremost I would like to send a prayer of love and compassion to every man. woman and child affected by this tragedy of lead poisoning. Flat out, it is criminal what has happened, and at the same time that we are sending bottles of water, the problem is far from being addressed with a solution on the horizon.
This feels like a piece of the systematic extinction of war on blacks, but I digress. I get a feeling of distress when there is something of this magnitude affecting my community the most. I feel like I'm supposed to help as much as I can with the might of God behind me. So, what have I done? I've donated water. I've donated money. Yet, still it doesn't feel like enough. So I started scouring the internet looking for articles of how to remove lead from the body. Because you can actually do this on your own volition.
Surprisingly, I thought there would be a lot of information out there considering this current event which is seemingly popping up in a different state every week. First Michigan, then Louisiana, Baltimore, New Jersey and who knows where next.
Here is some info I found from an article online providing ways to remove lead from the body naturally.
"...Once lead toxicity has been confirmed, there are various things you can do to detoxify it from your system. Here are five recommendations:
1. Increase your dietary calcium intake. Calcium and lead compete for absorption in the intestine. Therefore, if the diet contains adequate calcium, ingested lead will pass through the gastro-intestinal tract and be excreted from the body.
2. Invest in a Vitamin C with bioflavonoids supplement. This helps to neutralize the effects of lead in the body.
3. Infrared sauna therapy has a deeply detoxifying effect on the body. Infrared saunas are becoming widely recognized for their detoxification benefits. They can be found in healing centers, spas, fitness centres, etc.
4. Bentonite Clay is an excellent substance to help pull heavy metals out of your body. Once ingested, the clay binds to the positive oriented molecules (in this case the lead) and pulls them out of the body through waste elimination. Since clay is negatively charged, the positively charged molecules are instantly attracted to it. This has proved to be a very effective way to eliminate other waste products from the body. Essentially, Native tribes , and some birds and animals have been ingesting clay for many centuries.
5. Chlorophyll is a great substance to help chelate heavy metals out of your body. Foods like cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, and wheat grass are all excellent food to help boost the nutrient content in the blood in an effort to provide the body with the appropriate tools to flush harmful substances out."
The Mayo Clinic has a good article on it as well.
I think we should also start sending vitamins, wheatgrass, cilantro, clay and whatever else counteracts the effects and detoxifies the body of lead. This is how they will actually combat the lasting negative effects on the body.
I also think that we should start to educate ourselves more and spread the knowledge. I know that we need to do better with owning knowledge as a society and help ourselves. Remember, knowledge is power.
Please share this with your peers and then think of ways that we can continue to spread this awareness. Remember, we all have a role in this. Let's be a blessing to one another.